[Schlib] Call for Papers: TM Canada Symposium Edmonton, June 2010

jagibson at pembinatrails.ca jagibson at pembinatrails.ca
Thu Jan 14 16:48:32 CST 2010

The following is a dispatch email from the administrators
of the following web site.

http://www.manitobaschoollibraries.com/forums/
Your username:      schlib
Your email address: schlib at lists.merlin.mb.ca
January 2010
CALL FOR PAPERS
Canadian Scholarly Literature and Research Regarding School Libraries in Canada

The school library provides information and ideas that are fundamental to functioning successfully in today’s information and knowledge-based society. The school library equips students with life-long learning skills and develops the imagination, enabling them to live as responsible citizens.

This is a powerful vision for school libraries, but in too many schools in Canada, library programs remain marginal to K-12 education.  Relevant Canadian scholarly study and grassroots research is needed to give direction and ensure the best school library programs for all students.
An ad hoc committee, supported by CASL (Canadian School Library Association) and the Provincial School Library Associations, has come together to create Treasure Mountain Canada, patterned after the Treasure Mountain Retreats held in the United States since 1982 under the direction of Dr. David Loertscher.

Treasure Mountain Canada is a participatory learning experience designed to aggregate and highlight relevant Canadian research and discussion on the role school libraries could play in educational reforms and transformations. The first symposium will be held on June 1-2, 2010 in Edmonton, Alberta just prior to the Canadian Library Association Conference.   The focus of the symposium will be “Transforming Canadian School Libraries to Meet the Needs of 21st Century Learners”.

The TM Canada Planning Committee is pleased to extend an invitation for papers for our first publication, which will be one of the essential resources for the symposium. Papers related to the following areas would be highly useful: the needs of learners, multiple literacies (media, digital, information, reading, etc.), interdisciplinary learning, social networking/web 2.0, collaboration, inquiry-based learning, self-assessment, learning spaces/commons, etc.  Action research, case studies, formal research studies and research-based writing are all possible formats.

 We recognize the outstanding contributions so many have made to teaching and learning in Canada and we value every voice added to our work at TM Canada.  For specific requirements for papers please refer to the attached checklist. We need papers by March 12, 2010.

We thank you for your consideration and look forward to hearing from you in the near future. Please let us know if you plan to submit a paper. If you have any questions or wish to discuss this initiative further please contact Carol Koechlin by email koechlin at sympatico.ca or by phone 416 751 0889.

Checklist for TM Canada papers
	Approximately 1500-3000 words in length
	Electronic MS Word document - Arial 12 point
	Single spaced and visuals (e.g. charts and graphs) embedded
	References in any standard format
	Short biography of writer, about 200 words plus a digital photo would be appreciated
	Permissions if previously published
	Permission to publish your paper in PDF on TM Canada Wiki
	Papers are needed by March 12, 2010
Note: Copyright to remain with the writer
Questions about submissions should be directed to Carol Koechlin koechlin at sympatico.ca
Publication Editor - Professor David V. Loertscher,