[Schlib] TD National Reading Summit

jagibson at pembinatrails.ca jagibson at pembinatrails.ca
Sat Jan 23 13:10:53 CST 2010

The following is a dispatch email from the administrators
of the following web site.

http://www.manitobaschoollibraries.com/forums/
Your username:      schlib
Your email address: schlib at lists.merlin.mb.ca
Hello Everyone,
The following information is an update on the TD National Reading Summit initiative. As you can see from the steering committee, they are requesting that this information and opportunities for joining a working group be passed along to other possibly interested folks. You can also visit their site to view the material presented at the fall Summit.

News from the TD National Reading Summit

Happy New Year from the steering committee of the TD National Reading Summit! Thanks to all who made the conference in November so energizing, thought provoking, and enjoyable. Over two days, speakers from Canada and around the world shared their research and experience in developing reading promotion programs and plans for people of all ages. We hope these case studies serve as inspiration for our own national reading plan (or plans). If you were unable to attend the summit, or did but want to review the material presented, visit www.nationalreadingsummit.ca. Video, slides and transcripts will be posted in the coming weeks. A few presentations are already available for review.

Those of you who attended the summit know that the room was buzzing with ideas about how a reading culture in Canada can be fostered. The final afternoon was a highlight. Delegates brought their wish lists for a national reading plan to the floor, and these will serve as the foundation on which to build a strategy. Six working groups will begin to tackle this task. They will survey existing Canadian and international reading programs, consider best practice guidelines, and develop policy recommendations to bring to the next summit, which is scheduled for January 20-21, 2011. These recommendations will inform a strategy as the reading campaign moves into its final year.

The areas to consider are many. To begin, groups will be formed around the following areas:

(1) Babies/pre-school children (ages 0-5)
--Public health/medical professionals (i.e. pediatricians)
--Public libraries
--School readiness

(2) School aged children (ages 5-13)
--Boys
--School libraries
--Teacher training
--Librarian training
--Public libraries

(3) High school/university (ages 13-25)
--Boys
--Curriculum
--Teacher training
--Public libraries

(4) First Nations
--All ages
--Public/school libraries
--Bookstores/chains

(5) New Canadians
--All ages
--Language training
--Public/school libraries
--Bookstores/chains

(6) Equity/Access
--Literacy training
--Poverty
--Urban/rural
--Group homes
--Prisons
--Public/school libraries
--Bookstores/chains

The subtopics listed here are suggestions as to what working groups might choose to examine; each working group will push forward in the way it deems appropriate. Volunteer researchers will be available to help groups collect data and information if needed, and a project manager will be hired in the next few weeks to coordinate their activities. Groups of 12-15 members will be co-chaired by stakeholders and members of the steering committee, and will meet by teleconference two or three times as you develop your ideas and then as needed throughout the next year.

This is where you come in. A wealth of knowledge and expertise exists in all parts of the country, and we hope you'll consider joining a working group. All are encouraged to volunteer; please share this letter with any colleagues who may wish to get involved. If you are interested, please send your first and second working group choice to info at nationalreadingsummit.ca by Friday, January 29, 2010. We will try to accommodate everyone's first choice, but to ensure all regions and constituency groups are represented, some may be assigned to their second choice. Stay tuned for more news in February.

We look forward to working with you over the next year, and to creating a vibrant Canadian reading culture.
Sincerely yours,

Patsy Aldana
Rick Wilks
Co-chairs, TD National Reading Summit